23 May 2009

a new chapter

i have been hard at work teaching the next generation and opening one hell of a show. Crazyface opens tonight, so i started a new project today.

i have a container garden.

right out back under our bedroom window.
it is an experiment.

i come from a family of gardeners. my parents grow tomatos, peppers and asparagus. my dad's mum had an amazing tomato patch for years. my mom's mum grew everything imaginable. from rhubarb to carrots and broccoli to melons, grandma grew it. when i was little my parents humoured me and let me plant a little hill of corn. that was some of the best corn i ever tasted.

i plan to track my progress here and see what comes of this new adventure.

today i spent $65 and this is what i got....

  • 3 plastic 23 quart containers (long window box style).
  • 2 bags (32 qt each) of Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix
  • 1 bottle Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Plant Food Concentrate
  • 2 yellow marigolds
  • 2 orange marigolds
  • 2 red/orange combination marigolds
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 1 green bell pepper (for rW!)
  • 1 poblano pepper
  • 1 "early girl" tomato
  • 1 "husky cherry" tomato
  • 1 "mr. stripey" tomato
  • 1 watermelon
  • 1 jack'o'lantern

not bad for $65, right?

on the optimistic side, here is my maximum goal (hoped for yield) for my little container garden....
  • 1 watermelon
  • 1 pumpkin
  • 4 red peppers
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 poblano pepper
  • 20 cherry tomatoes
  • 5-7 big tomatos

i anticipate there will be losses, however. i expect to lose at minimum one pepper plant and one tomato plant. everyone keep their fingers crossed for Mr. Stripey! he is my heirloom tomato plant and i really want him to make it.

now.
we must have a moment of true confession.
i have done very little research before starting this project. i know. i am terrible. but plan to research as i go along and treat this as an experiment. so here's the report....

Day One
i came home from the store and set up the pots, filled them, and planted my new friends according to the directions on the tags. it was early evening, so i went ahead and mixed up the plant food and watered everyone. and away we go!

No comments: